loneliness

loneliness
“The thing to do, when you don't know, is not to bluff and not to freeze, but to learn.” Donella H. Meadows

Monday, January 31, 2011

What I missed

I will probably never fully understand the forces that pushed me away in the first place. But I know very well why I wanted to return. It was because I missed my colleagues, the exciting diversity of my students, and the profound, insistent and real sense of mission that permeates everything we do at Seattle University. It was because I missed our noisy and argumentative, but eventually productive faculty meetings. And it was also because I missed programs--new, exiting, and only dreamed of--and the wonderful staff that makes them happen. I missed the Chapel and the reflecting pool I could see from my window at Pigott. Also the rain, the wind, the gorgeous blue skies framed by snow-capped mountains framed by the cold white-capped sea. And playful zig-zagging white sails on the lakes.